[Factc] New report on placement practices in the Puget Sound Road Map region

Bill Moore bmoore at sbctc.edu
Mon Jun 7 09:20:40 PDT 2021

FYI: See below for a release announcement from the Puget Sound College and Career Network (PSCCN)<https://www.psccn.org> about its new report,  Inequity by Design: How College Placement Policies Perpetuate Institutional Racism<https://inequitybydesign.psccn.org/>.

Bill

Bill Moore, Ph.D. (he/his)
Director, K-12 Partnerships & Bridge to College
State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
360-704-4346 (office) 360-528-1809 (cell)

COVID-19 REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES – AVAILABLE HERE<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-success-center/remote-learning-resources.aspx>

"For many young people in our region, Community and Technical Colleges (CTCs) are an essential gateway to meaningful, living-wage, career opportunities. Yet less than half of the region’s direct enrollees complete a two-year degree, short-term credential, or transfer within their first four years of CTC enrollment. This report highlights the systemic barriers that students — particularly students of color — face in getting to and through college, and how the current approach to placement is underestimating student capacity.

Read this report to:

  *   Learn about the inequities at play with regards to assessment and placement.

  *   Understand the data and hear how students (particularly students of color) are impacted by their current enrollment and placement experience.

  *   Take action by advocating for a paradigm shift and following recommendations for specific leaders who can drive change to improve access to college-level courses, while increasing racial equity in college placement outcomes.

On Tuesday, June 8, from 9:30 to 11 a.m. PDT, PSCCN will host a report release event to share findings from the research and facilitate an important discussion regarding the current role of placement and assessment practices within Washington State, and recommended actions for correcting the injustices in our education system. Those interested in participating may register online<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/inequitybydesign>.

With placement policies that perpetuate, rather than remediate, injustice across our education system, we must act collectively with anti-racist approaches and center the experiences of students of color to improve student transition from high school to college."