[Factc] SSB 5227 concerns

Anne Brackett abrackett at everettcc.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:24:57 PST 2021

Since our next meeting is somewhat distant, I wonder a few things in
response to Jason Nix's message:

   - How many of our colleges have recently offered professional
   development on antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion?
   - How many of our colleges offer antiracism and DEI professional
   development annually and/or require it of their employees?

I suspect that the answer is mixed, indicative of a system with abundant
resources in some regions and scarcity in others.  That concerns me.  This
lack of a statewide approach to increasing employee awareness of antiracism
and DEI means that the chance of experiencing racially unjust learning
and/or working spaces varies by location.  If you are a black student or
employee about to study or work at a WA CTC, it seems reasonable to expect
a level of employee awareness of DEI and antiracism appropriate to a center
of learning.  Our current approach does not support all employees at all
colleges developing such competencies.

In addition I suspect many colleges have put antiracist and DEI
professional development on hold (assuming it was ever initiated) while
they focus on responding to COVID-19 and budget woes due to low
enrollments.  While attention is on other priorities our students and
employees of color, particularly those who are black, continue to
experience acts of racism in their interactions with employees at every
community and technical college in Washington state.  What will it take to
prioritize addressing racism in our campus cultures?  Creating a statewide
expectation of professional development and college assessment for DEI is
one action step to systematically address these issues.

Thanks for reading,
Anne

--
Anne Brackett