[Factc] Supporting Faculty During COVID 19, or, "Everything is Figureoutable"

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Mar 16 17:53:34 PDT 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

One of my favorite humans, Marie Forleo, always says that "Everything is figureoutable."

As I find myself feeling stressed out, pessimistic, overwhelmed and/or basically like the giant ball of anxiety I am on even my best days ... I've been finding comfort and hope in these words.
Feel free to use them if you feel it's apropos.

We are smart, capable humans tackling major adaptive challenges caused by COVID 19 ... and with this massive move to online, I know that together, we can figure out new and innovative solutions that work for faculty and for students.

Which leads me to my sad news: today, the Assessment, Teaching, and Learning Department (ATL) made the difficult but necessary decision to cancel the face-to-face 2020 ATL Conference.
The F2F event would have been held May 6-8, 2020, at the Lynnwood Convention Center.

We are working on plans for a streamlined online alternative of the 2020 ATL Conference, based on feedback we receive in response to this short survey: "What Your Biggest COVID 19 Pro D Need<http://bit.ly/2wSZJcu>?"
Faculty, please let us know how we can best support you during this critical juncture!

We will be in touch through the ATL Conference webpage, as well as listservs, when we have a plan we feel will best serve the needs of our faculty during this very difficult time.
It's an honor to serve our wonderful teachers.

Peace,
Jen

PS--I know many faculty are concerned about students not having consistent or reliable internet access. Please check out this offer from Comcast<http://bit.ly/2WhRUaT>: free internet for 60 days to low-income residents due to COVID-19.

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Assessment, Teaching, and Learning (ATL), Education Division

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Faculty: What's Your Biggest COVID 19 Pro D Need? Take the Survey<http://bit.ly/2wSZJcu>

“The problems of racism in writing classrooms are not primarily pedagogical problems to solve alone. Racism is an assessment problem, which can only be fully solved by changing the system of assessment, by changing the classroom writing assessment ecology. Thus assessment must be reconceived as an antiracist ecology.”

 [*]        Asao B. Inoue, Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies<http://bit.ly/2xvacY4>