[Factc] FW: [EXTERNAL] Re: Question

Smith, Gerard GSmith at clark.edu
Mon Oct 2 13:16:22 PDT 2017

FACTC MEMBERS

Some pre-retreat material to read in preparation.

Tina and I [Diane] would like to use the attached two cases to demonstrate the potential of Critical Moments for increasing cultural awareness and appreciation and learning.  If participants could read these in advance of our workshop, that would help.  Also the references and manual produced by the Washington Center for Improving the Quality of Undergraduate Education are available at this link: http://wacenter.evergreen.edu/about/projects1/criticalmoments.html

The Washington Center has made 40 copies of the manual available for those who will be attending the workshop and want a hard copy; I will be bringing them.  The manual has cases written by Seattle Colleges teams from Seattle Central, South Puget Sound, and Tacoma and from The Evergreen State College.   The experiences of Eastern Washington University, Western Washington University, and Seattle College Campuses Edmonds and Highline with Critical Moments are included in the Appendix.

We are hoping to apply what Debby Jenkins uses in her work with the faculty earlier in the day as we think about using diversity cases.

Finally, the following link to leading discussions might be useful.  It's not just for case discussions, but for leading discussions in general.

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/speaking-listening-techniques/

So looking forward to this.  Please let us know if you need anything else.

Best, Diane