[Factc] Theme Homework

Smith, Gerard GSmith at clark.edu
Tue Apr 18 08:20:28 PDT 2017

Hello FACTC Members,

In preparation for our May meeting, please gather the following information on our discussion themes.  Thank you to Jen Whetham for brainstorming these with me!

College Success Course (i.e. College 101)

a)     Does your college have a college success course (i.e. College 101)?

b)     How is it designed (learning outcomes and assessments, cohort model, etc.) and who was engaged in the design process?

c)     Describe how your college is currently implementing this course (i.e. mandatory, taken fall quarter by all students, etc.)

d)     How is your college tracking the effects of the course and what data have you collected so far?

Common Course Numbering

a)     What do you see as the potential impacts, positive and negative, of common course numbering?

b)     Have you observed significant instructional variation (learning outcomes, content covered, assessment measures, etc.) from college to college across the system?

c)     If you have evidence that there is significant instructional variation, does this concern you?  Why or why not

d)   If you have concerns, what actions would you recommend to ensure alignment across the 34 CTCs?

Looking forward to some "sun" in Spokane.    See you there!

Gerry