[DEOC] Compensation for bilingual employees

Margarita P Banderas margarita.banderas at wwcc.edu
Thu Jul 21 16:36:29 PDT 2022

Hello DEOs,

This question has come up at WWCC, and I'm curious if any of your colleges has a policy/procedure or practice in place that might help guide our next steps.

As we build our capacity to better serve our Latinx students, we are seeing more job descriptions that list bilingual skills as preferred. As we hire those folks, many of them are often called upon to help with Spanish translation to students/individuals outside of their area of work. Even though they are happy to help, this growing practice presents equity issues for bilingual staff who are not directly tasked with providing translation services.

I'm curious if you're familiar with a policy or practice to help navigate this. I'd especially be interested in setting a policy to compensate employees for their time if they are helping beyond their job duties.

Thanks,

Margarita

The value of your personal time is priceless, and my working day may not be the same as your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Margarita Banderas   |   Director of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion<https://www.wwcc.edu/equity/>

Pronouns: she/her/ella (Why I share my pronouns<https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/sharing-gender-pronouns-at-work/>)

Walla Walla Community College<http://wwcc.edu/>   |   Bldg. D279

500 Tausick Way   |   Walla Walla, WA 99362

c: (509) 730-6196   |   e: margarita.banderas at wwcc.edu<mailto:margarita.banderas at wwcc.edu>