[ctcLinkfinaidsupport] WorkFirst Global Item Types *NEW* for FY22

Marjorie Facio mfacio at sbctc.edu
Thu Oct 7 07:09:49 PDT 2021

Good morning,

These are great questions, Tracy!

I'm cc'ing our listserv subscribers as all will benefit from this clarification:

Program administration guidelines were recently announced via the Canvas WorkFirst Administrators group on 10/1/21.

I am hoping that most of your administration questions are addressed by policy guidance.

As this is a transition year, you do not need to reverse and reaward under the new item types, but you will want to:

  *   Include those old item types in queries and reconciliation review
  *   Discontinue using those old item types from this moment forward
  *   Ensure that your staff know to begin awarding under the new global values

Here are the specific answers to your questions:

Q: We have students from summer and fall that were awarded/disbursed WorkFirst tuition using 912xxx600, what happens with those?  Are those required to be undisbursed and re awarded using new item types?

A: No need to re-award. CTCs need to be aware there is a manual review when doing expenditure reporting and reconciliation. There may be different item types identified during a reconciliation period.

Some CTCs may still be waiting for the creation of item types. Therefore, start dates using new item types is dependent on when CTCs receive their assigned WorkFirst global item types.

Q: With 3 categories(BE, VE, LS) of tuition and books, we could have a student who have classes in more than one category, how are those processed since tuition is broken down that same way?  And for books, how do you process?  Does that mean a student will need to have more than one bookstore transaction if they have books in more than one category?

A: The process for tuition is to pay tuition out of each budget category when there are multiple components for one student.

Paying for books process should be the same as tuition such as paying out of the budget category matching the WorkFirst component. For example, if the student is in BE & LS components and the student needs both a LS book and BE book, there may be one Bookstore amount for both books on the invoice. In this case, CTC WorkFirst staff separate the amount out identifying the appropriate student supports budget category when reconciling. Then whoever is processing the charges through Student Financials can easily identifying splitting up charges to the LS & BE item types.

Q: We have students who have WorkFirst workstudy earned under the previous item types, 932xxx700, do those remain there or have to be moved to new Item Type.

A: No re-awarding necessary since this program started as of 10/1. Again, some CTCs may still be waiting for creation of item types. So the start date using the new item types is dependent on when CTCs receive their assigned WorkFirst item types.

Thank you,

FA Support
[Compass]Marjorie Facio
Functional Analyst, Campus Solutions (Financial Aid)
1300 Quince Street SE
Olympia, WA 98504-2495
mfacio at sbctc.edu<mailto:mfacio at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-1836