[Ctclda] Create Well Designed Meta-Majors: Register Now for the Fall CTCLDA Conference!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Wed Sep 28 16:56:40 PDT 2016

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D21976.21816850]

The CTCLDA is excited to announce our
3rd Conference in the Guided Pathways Series

The Art and Architecture of Choice:
Leveraging the Principles of Decision Science in a Guided Pathways Approach

Join with colleagues from around the state

to learn about this key foundation of creating well-designed meta majors!

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D2197A.38D344C0]

facilitated by Wendy de La Rosa<http://advanced-hindsight.com/who-we-are/lab/wendy-de-la-rosa/> of Irrational Labs!<http://irrationallabs.org/about/>

Friday, November 18, 2016
Hilton Vancouver, WA

8:30 AM to 3:30 PM

Register Now<https://www.regonline.com/Fall2016CTCLDAconference>!

What is Decision Science?

Have you ever stopped, befuddled, in the cereal aisle of the grocery store?  Too much choice overwhelms, while too few choices artificially limits and restricts.  Choice theory and decision science are about finding "the sweet spot" between too much choice and not enough.

How Does this Relate to a Guided Pathways Approach?

A Guided Pathways Approach asks practitioners to re-think and re-create institutional structure using four design principles-one of which is creating meta majors.  As our colleges begin exploring, developing or implementing guided pathways, we all must consider how we scaffold decision-making processes for our students.  As one example, guided pathways seeks to move us away from the 'cafeteria-style' model (in which students face an almost dizzying array of program choices), to a more manageable set of options to consider.  In a guided pathways approach, these are called meta-majors.

How Will This Impact My Work?

For practitioners looking to design meta majors that work for students and educators, understanding the art and science of decision making will greatly and positively impact how we serve our students.

How Much Does this Event Cost?
$175 for participants from member colleges
$275 for participants from non-member colleges

Where Can I Stay?
Reserve Your Room at the Vancouver Hilton!<http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/P/PDXVAHH-CLD-20161117/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG>
The Hilton Vancouver Washington is offering the rate of $129.  Reservation must be made by October 25.

Questions?
Contact CTCLDA Executive Director Kati Hays<mailto:mchays at columbiabasin.edu>

Thanks to our Sponsors!

City University of Seattle, Northeastern University Seattle, Schneider Electric, TIAA, and University of Phoenix

Please forward to colleagues who may be interested!

Jennifer Locke Whetham
Program Administrator, Faculty Development
1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504
p: (360) 704-4354| f: (360) 704-4419 |
mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu|@jwhethamsbctc | assessmentlearningteaching.com<http://www.assessmentlearningteaching.com/>