[BLC] Computer Science Summit - January 21, 2022 - 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Lori Crist lcrist at sbctc.edu
Fri Jan 7 12:07:17 PST 2022

Sent on Behalf of Carli Schiffner

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, in Spring 2021, the Washington State Legislature granted WA SBCTC the authority to offer the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree.

Per the legislation, our colleges are allowed to begin the development process for implementing this degree after December 1, 2021. We have the ability to do an independent application/degree offering and we have the ability to offer the degree through a consortia model.

A work group was assembled last summer to work on mobilizing our colleges to offer this new degree. The work group has identified three pathways colleges can participate in pursuing a BS in CS degree:

  1.  As an independent institution,
  2.  As part of an already established consortia (the App Network), or
  3.  As part of a yet-to-be-formed consortia based on region or other criteria.

The work group would like to bring college leadership and faculty together to work through a sundry of issues/decisions that impact the development of these pathways. The development work around the BS in CS is moving fast!  We need you to weigh in and let us know your interest in the direction we are pursuing.

Therefore, we are putting together a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Degree Summit.

It will be held virtually on Friday, January 21, from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Join Zoom meeting<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87978251569?pwd=cTJXd01kUUs0Q1dBWVBzWXFnOFdVdz09>
Meeting ID: 879 7825 1569
Passcode: 328338

Proposed Agenda:

  1.  Background to the degree, consortia approach.
  2.  General Information for all parties considering a consortia model:
     *   Faculty Sharing
     *   Course Sharing
     *   Open Educational Resources
     *   Partnerships:
  3.  Break out groups based on pathways
     *   Independent College applications
     *   APP Connect Consortia
     *   Colleges interested in a consortia model.

                                               i.     Regional consideration

                                              ii.     Commonalities in the approach

Who to bring: Vice Presidents of Instruction, Deans, Faculty in related fields.

Outcomes:

  1.  Decisions about 2+2 modeling; statewide adoption of Computer Science DTA; etc.
  2.  Colleges engaged with preferred pathway model.

Thank you for your attention to this-we are excited to get this underway with your help! We will be sending out a calendar invite-please share with your college team as needed.

Thank you again!
Carli

[Compass]Carli Schiffner, Ph.D.
Deputy Executive Director of Education