[BLC] FW: Guided Pathways IDEAL STUDENT Fellowship - Please share broadly!

Jamilyn Penn jpenn at sbctc.edu
Mon Jan 4 08:56:48 PST 2021

Hello and Happy New Year!

I hope that you are well. On behalf of Kristi Wellington Baker, I am forwarding information about the Guided Pathway IDEAL STUDENT Fellowship (see below). If you have any specific questions, please reach out to Kristi.

Best regards,
Jamilyn

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Jamilyn Penn (she, her, hers)
Director, Transfer Education
jpenn at sbctc.edu<mailto:jpenn at sbctc.edu> * cell: 253-302-9395

Subject: [Deaninstr] Guided Pathways IDEAL STUDENT Fellowship - Please share broadly!

All,
As we approach the new year with a renewed sense of hope, I am thrilled to announce the launch of the Guided Pathways IDEAL Student Fellowship. With the generous support of College Spark Washington<https://collegespark.org/>, and in partnership with many brilliant leaders in the system including SOCC planning team leaders, SBCTC DEO, Ha Nguyen, and Dr. Jeremiah Sims, we are opening the 2021 GPIS fellowship application<https://forms.gle/Br48gham9GPdVtv86>. We plan to engage 20- 25 community and technical college students in this learning and leading experience, including a core curriculum, emergent professional development opportunities, and structured mentoring support. The core curriculum engages students in the examination of policies and practices that the fellows identify as impacting the community college student experience with an equity-minded, anti-racist framework. In addition to the $1,000 stipend, this is a great opportunity for students to add to their resumé for employment and transfer applications, while continuing to build their racial and social justice theory to practice skills.
Please share this opportunity with students who you see as leaders but who may not have seen themselves as leaders (yet!).

WHAT:                              GUIDED PATHWAYS IDEAL STUDENT FELLOWSHIP
The GPIS Fellowship is designed to engage student leaders across Washington community colleges in further development of racial and social justice advocacy skills focused on classroom and college policies. The facilitators are dedicated to the future where it is not only possible, but consistent for students to effect change in policies and practices that impact the student experience. The cohort of fellows will work together to build a collective understanding of equity, what it can look like on college campuses, and in society as a whole. Fellows will then identify, reflect on and review policies and practices on their campuses, collect evidence, and share ideas for improving the student experience designed by students to impact currently inequitable outcomes.

WHO:                                ALL Students are eligible - please be sure to share with Basic Skills/ Transitional studies/ English Language Learner/students - we need their voices at the table!

WHEN:                              February 5 - May 21, 2021
Interactive Professional Development Seminars occur on Fridays, 1:00-2:30pm
CORE SEMINAR DATES: Feb 5, 26, Mar 12, 26, Apr 9, 23, May 7, 21

COMPENSATION:           Students will be compensated $1,000 stipend for their participation

HOW TO APPLY:              Application can be found HERE<https://forms.gle/Br48gham9GPdVtv86>

APPLICATION DUE:         January 15, 2021

As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Looking forward to connecting soon,
kwb

My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public.
-Cornel West

Kristi Wellington-Baker | Student Success Center Director
Pronouns:<https://www.mypronouns.org/sharing> She/Her/Hers
1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495
Olympia, WA 98504-2495
p: 360.704.1022 | c: 509.301.8466 | kwellingtonbaker at sbctc.edu<mailto:kwellingtonbaker at sbctc.edu>
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> * Facebook: @WASBCTC

Click here to learn why I put my pronouns in my email signature and you might consider doing so<https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/sharing-gender-pronouns-at-work/>.

Link to: COVID-19 REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-success-center/remote-learning-resources.aspx>
                                                        SBCTC Vision
"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives
within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice
in service to our diverse communities."