[BLC] Precollege in Guided Pathways Research

Jamilyn Penn jpenn at sbctc.edu
Fri Mar 20 16:53:36 PDT 2020

If you have questions about the following information, please contact Will Durden, Policy Associate, Basic Education for Adults- wdurden at sbctc.edu<mailto:wdurden at sbctc.edu>.
_____________________

Good afternoon colleagues,

I hope this Friday finds you looking forward to the weekend.

"Guiding students from basic education through college and beyond<https://www.sbctc.edu/resources/documents/colleges-staff/research/pre-college-research/beda-in-gp-research-report-20-1-final.pdf>," the latest research by the SBCTC research team on Pre-college education<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/research/reports/pre-college-research.aspx>, provides a baseline study for the integration of basic education in Guided Pathways design. As the report notes, "the ultimate concern here is with closing equity gaps among all Washingtonians."

I encourage those invested in Guided Pathways work on campus to read the full report. There are a few specific findings from the report I'd like to highlight here:

  *   "I-BEST academic transfer students had the highest four-year degree completion (25 percent) [...] However, when looking at just the five colleges that were growing the 'academic I-BEST' pathway and the final cohort year (2013), we see that the completion rate is even higher at 43 percent."
  *   "We found in the five colleges that were most invested in growing the path that their I-BEST students' academic transfer degree completion is substantially higher than all other first-time-in-college (FTIC) students. Furthermore, the strength of this completion is bolstered by a four-year college transfer rate on par with (actually slightly higher than) other FTIC students."
     *   We connect this higher degree attainment rate to a higher first year college math completion rate.
  *   "We believe that the academic transfer mission should be re-branded as a bachelor's degree pathway and the BAS degree should be included in that path and discussed with academic transfer students."
  *   "We believe in many ways the findings in this report strengthen the call for mission integration for all students in Guided Pathways."
As a reminder, SBCTC is actively working to provide resources for online team teaching in I-BEST. Stay tuned for further developments.

And as always, please reach out to me if I can help you consider and plan for how I-BEST fits in with your college's pathway design. It's a pleasure to partner with you in this work.

Best,

Will