[BLC] [Bas] BAS policy question

Teresa Lin teresa.lin at email.edcc.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:53:24 PDT 2018

Hi Lenaya,

If I'm understanding correctly, you're seeing if the cosmetology credits
can be counted towards the overall 180 credits of the Applied Management
BAS degree. I would say it depends on how your degree was originally split
up.

For example, our degree is 60 credits of "Proficiency" - so the prof-tech
core courses completed in the AAS-T degrees (for us it's Early Childhood
Education or Social and Human Services), 60 credits of general education,
and 60 credits of upper division courses. As of now, we ask for all 60
credits of Proficiency and 30 credits of general education credits to be
completed prior to applying for our degree. And the remaining 30 credits of
general education and 60 credits of upper division would be completed
during the BAS program.

Now if someone has 50 credits of general education credits from prior
schooling and the 60 credits of Proficiency before applying for the BAS
program, then I would honor those credits through a transcript evaluation
and transfer of credits (following the distribution areas and requirements
outlined in the Program Requirements created for the BAS). So for this
example student, they would come in with 60 + 50 = 110 credits and would
only need to complete 70 more credits to finish the BAS degree (60 credits
of upper division and 10 credits of general education). If my example
student had additional cosmetology credits, I wouldn't count those towards
anything in the BAS degree because it's neither a Proficiency course, a
general education course, or an upper division course.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you'd like more clarification or have more
questions.

Thanks!

*Teresa Lin, MSW*
Child, Youth, and Family Studies
BAS Program Manager
Health and Human Services Division
20000 68th Ave. W, Lynnwood, WA 98036 | edcc.edu
teresa.lin at edcc.edu | 425.640.1605 | edcc.edu/cyfs

Prounouns: she/her