[BFET] Real-Time Employer Demand

Mat Carlisle mcarlisle at sbctc.edu
Wed Jan 3 09:33:30 PST 2018

Good morning.
Here is the most recent Employer Demand and Supply/Demand Information from ESD. I think this information will prove helpful to you as you advise and guide your BFET students.
Mat

Mat Carlisle
Program Administrator,  Workforce Education
State Board of Community and Technical Colleges
Phone: 360.704.4341
Fax: 360.704.4418
Email: mcarlisle at sbctc.edu

Subject: Real-time employer demand

Our Employer Demand <https://esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo/employer-demand> and Supply-Demand Reports<https://esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo/supply-demand-report> have been updated through November. We are excited about several new features that we added to our Supply-Demand tool. Let us know what you think!

New Features for the Supply Demand Report

*         As people have requested the ability to perform more individualized analysis using the Supply Demand report, we have uploaded the data behind the reports in an easily accessible Excel document. Take a look at the file located here: Supply Demand Data Tables<https://esdorchardstorage.blob.core.windows.net/esdwa/Default/ESDWAGOV/labor-market-info/Libraries/Regional-reports/Supply-demand-reports/Supply%20Demand%20Data%20Tables.xlsx>.

*         Detailed Occupation Gap Analysis has also been added to the Supply Demand Report<https://esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo/supply-demand-report>. This tab shows the difference between the number of Total Job Postings via Help Wanted Online and the number of UI Participants at the 6 Digit Occupation level. To access this information, just click on the "Gap Analysis" tab of the report.

Supply Demand at a glance

We also wanted to provide you with quick overview of some major points of this month's updates. Most notably, there is has been a marked decrease year-over-year in the number of total job postings, however when removing the Seattle-King County area, the rate of decline is much less pronounced. Use the Supply Demand Report link above if you're interested in more detailed information, including month by month postings, gap analysis and historical data.

Annual comparison

*         Statewide, the total number of job postings decreased from 153,202 in November 2016 to 135,528 in November 2017, a decrease of 11.5% or 17,674 job postings over the year.

*         The number of new job postings decreased by 12,736 over the same period; from 68,512 in November 2016 through 55,776 in November 2017, a reduction of 18.6% over the year.

*         Without King County, the statewide total job postings declined 5.0% from November 2016 through November 2017, from 68,053 to 64,649.

*         The number of new job postings for the state without King County declined 20.0% or 6,410 postings from November 2016 through November 2017.

Month over month comparison

*         In each of the last 3 years total job postings between October and November declined.

*         In 2015, the decrease between October and November was 442 or 0.3%

*         In 2016, the decrease between October and November was 3,351 or 2.1%

*         In 2017, the decrease between October and November was 349 or 0.3%

All the recent updates and changes were made possible thanks to your suggestions! Our System Performance team welcomes the challenge to improve this report to better serve your needs.  If you have any ideas on how we might improve this product or if you have any questions or comments, we'd love to hear from you.

Scott Wheeler
Workforce Information Operations Manager
Workforce Information and Technology Services
Employment Security Department
(360) 407-4590
Labor Market Info<https://esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo/report-library>