[BFET] BFET Time and Effort Reporting

Mat Carlisle mcarlisle at sbctc.edu
Mon May 8 15:15:13 PDT 2017

Good afternoon.
BFET Monitoring visits have revealed that there is some confusion regarding how to report BFET and BFET-leveraged funds on an after-the-fact time and effort form.

After consulting with our Fiscal staff and our Auditor, the following clarification was developed, reflecting the understanding of SBCTC BFET program, fiscal and audit staff. It was, also, found that this method for T&E reporting is consistent with the guidance provided by my predecessor at the SBCTC. Many thanks to Michele Rockwell for capturing the issues and the solution so clearly.

First a little background.  T&E reports should have funding sources identified.  However, in some cases, it might be best to have both the grant/funding source name and the program name clearly identified.  BFET is one of those cases.

For BFET, its common to see staff salaries split between:

  1.  The actual BFET grant (direct charged to the 50% of the grant the college gets back in each reimbursement or paid from reutilized funds); and
  2.  Some type of leveraged funding that makes up the 50% of non-federal expenses a college must have for BFET.  For example, Worker Retraining (WRT).  The employee's time that is charged to those leveraged funds must support BFET students.  In this case, they would be BFET-eligible, co-enrolled WRT students.

For the funding sources and work to be most easily identified, the lines on a T&E report for the staff in the example above would be something like the following:

  1.  BFET 50/50 grant funding
  2.  WRT (BFET leveraged funds)

It would, also, be acceptable to use abbreviated versions such as:

  1.  BFET 50/50 grant funding
  2.  WRT/BFET

Any staff time charged to the BFET 100% Funding line would need to be captured separately on T&E reports, as well.  If the same staff above was actually funded from 50/50 BFET funds, WRT (BFET leveraged funds), and the 100% Funding line of BFET, their T&E report would need 3 lines:

  1.  BFET 50/50 grant funding
  2.  BFET 100% grant funding
  3.  WRT (BFET leveraged funds)

If there are questions, both Michele Rockwell and I would be happy to assist further.

As always, the great work you do to make your BFET students and programs successful is very much appreciated.
Mat

Mat Carlisle
Program Administrator,  Workforce Education
State Board of Community and Technical Colleges
Phone: 360.704.4341
Fax: 360.704.4418
Email: mcarlisle at sbctc.edu