[BFET] Gas for Students

Irene Shown IShown at pencol.edu
Fri Jan 20 12:59:56 PST 2017

Carol,
Here is the wording that we are using for our newly initiated procedure:

In an effort to help students with transportation barriers, particularly those who live out of the local Port Angeles and Sequim areas, we can award students up to $150.00 for automobile gas purchases quarterly.  This assistance will be determined on a case by case basis for each individual student request.
A spreadsheet with the gas cards listed by number will be used to assign each award of $25.  The student will need to complete and sign a Fuel Card Request/Participant Reimbursement form before receiving gas cards, and a staff member must sign the form as well; two staff members are required to sign off on the spreadsheet before the card is released to the student.  Cards should not be given to anyone except the student who requested, and was approved, for the fuel assistance.
The BFET Financial Assistance form will be completed by staff and forwarded to our financial aid department to be incorporated into the student's financial aid package, and will be assigned a non-dispersible code in FAM; the FAPC code for transportation costs is 0X4. The original form will remain with our Financial Aid department to be scanned as part of the student's records for future access if needed.  A copy of the form will be placed in the BFET Expenditures Notebook within the current quarterly section.
Students will then need to provide gas receipts with dates and amounts, which will be attached to the Participant Reimbursement form.  Financial Aid will need to be notified with an updated BFET Financial Assistance form of the exact amount of gas card use.  The completed form with receipts is filed in the student file.

So, our Business Office has purchased $500 worth of Safeway fuel cards, and these will be issued out using the above quoted procedure.  We have not yet issued a fuel card, but we have the request/participant reimbursement form ready for when we get asked!  Hope this helps,
~Irene Shown

Irene E. Shown | Program Assistant |DSHS Programs | Peninsula College |1502 E. Lauridsen Blvd. |Port Angeles, WA  98362 | Voice: 360.417.6296 |Fax: 360.417.6391 | Email: ishown at pencol.edu