[Abawdnavigators] FW: Canvas system messaging common messaging reminder - draft

Kathi Medcalf kmedcalf at sbctc.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:20:59 PDT 2020

Hello All,
Just a reminder that August 1st is next week......

The Student Supports team would like to remind the CTCs and CBOs we serve that system messaging will move from SBCTC's email listservs to our Canvas Community<https://sbctc.instructure.com/courses/1940148>, effective on August 1, 2020. This change affects the following listservs/programs:

  *   Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD)
  *   Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET)
  *   Opportunity Grant
  *   Student Emergency Assistance Grant Program (SEAG)
  *   WorkFirst
  *   Worker Retraining (WRT)

Please ensure that anyone at your organization who currently receives information from the listservs for the above programs/is signed up for any of these listservs is made aware of this change and added to the Canvas Community. Important note: if you do not accept the Canvas invite, you will not receive further system messaging from the above six listservs after August 1. This email serves as a reminder, and is otherwise identical in content to the messaging sent out to our listservs on July 1, 2020.

You will need to be added to the Canvas Community to receive continue to receive system messaging for these programs come August 1. Contact Dylan Jilek at djilek at sbctc.edu<mailto:djilek at sbctc.edu> to be added to the Canvas Community - indicate which program(s) you work with so we can ensure you receive the same information you received from our listservs. Important note: the WEC/VTC listserv is not included in this change.

Announcements

Announcements<https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10736-67952724136> will be delivered to your email inbox in much the same way that emails from program listservs are delivered. You will also be able to access them in the Announcements section of Canvas<https://sbctc.instructure.com/courses/1940148/announcements>. Our team is excited about switching to Announcements for a few reasons:

  *   Announcements remain in a Canvas course in perpetuity.
     *   You'll be able to search for a topic in Canvas and find anything sent to the system starting August 1, 2020.
     *   New staff will be able to access all past system messaging, rather than current staff having to save emails for future staff member access.
  *   The three most recent Announcements sent to the system will be visible at the top of the Canvas home page - you'll have easy access to the most recent system information.

One other important change to note - you won't be able to reply to an announcement through your email inbox or in Canvas.

Groups

We'll be utilizing the Groups<https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10717-67952724469> function in Canvas to:

  *   Distribute program-specific messaging via Announcements.
     *   For example, we would make an announcement about the opening of a fall WorkFirst Funding Survey to the WorkFirst Group in Canvas.

Our use of Groups will ensure that you only get information about the programs you need. This replicates current practice with our program listservs. Please check to see that you're in the right Group(s) in Canvas so you receive the system messaging you need. To find out how to view what Groups you're in, watch this brief Canvas Groups video<https://vimeo.com/58553577>. Contact Dylan at djilek at sbctc.edu<mailto:djilek at sbctc.edu> if you need to be added to or removed from any groups.

SBCTC has created general groups as well as Administrator, Navigator, and Point of Contact specific groups for each program. The following Groups are available for anyone to join in our Canvas Community:

  *   ABAWD
  *   BFET
  *   Opportunity Grant
  *   SEAG
  *   WorkFirst
  *   WRT

The following Groups will be available only to Navigators, Administrators, and Points of Contact for their respective programs:

  *   ABAWD Navigators
  *   BFET Administrators
  *   Opportunity Grant Points of Contact
  *   SEAG Points of Contact
  *   WorkFirst Administrators
  *   WRT Administrators

We'll be using these groups to ensure that information flows directly from SBCTC to the staff in the system who need it, in an effort to send less emails out to the entirety of the system.

Discussions

You'll have the ability to create Discussions<https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10727-67952724152> in all Groups you are a member of. You can use Discussions to:

  *   Start a conversation with your peers in the system & at SBCTC - this will be similar to emailing a question to a program listserv with a question.
     *   Discussions will facilitate transparency - everyone will be able to see SBCTC team and system answers with ease. Our team looks forward to creating these shared spaces with you.

Within your Groups, you're encouraged to create discussions about anything that you would've previously messaged to a Student Supports listserv - just make sure you create the discussion in the right group! SBCTC staff will also respond to and moderate discussions created by the system, and will occasionally create discussions to facilitate system discussion.

Important Note: As the Announcements and Discussions features will be used to communicate important system information, we ask that you ensure that you turn notifications for announcements and discussions on in Canvas. Find more information on how to do that below:

  *   How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student?<https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344> (article)
  *   Notification Preferences<https://community.canvaslms.com/videos/1072-notification-preferences-all-users> (video)

Questions, Comments, and Support

Contact Dylan Jilek<mailto:djilek at sbctc.edu>, Education Program Coordinator, with questions or comments regarding the Canvas Community, including any of these changes, technical support, or training needs.
Thank you!

[Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges compass]Dylan Jilek
Pronouns: they|them|theirs
Education Program Coordinator
djilek at sbctc.edu<mailto:djilek at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-1027 * f: 360-704-4416
Why I put my pronouns in my email signature<https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit/why-i-put-pronouns-on-my-email-signature-and-linkedin-profile-and-you-should-too-d3dc942c8743>

Friendly Reminder: ABAWD, BFET, Opportunity Grant, SEAG, WorkFirst, & WRT listserv emails will be transitioning to the Workforce Student Supports Canvas Community on August 1, 2020. If you have not joined this Canvas Community yet, please contact Dylan Jilek at djilek at sbctc.edu<mailto:djilek at sbctc.edu> to be added.