[Abawdnavigators] Final Rule

Kathi Medcalf kmedcalf at sbctc.edu
Wed Dec 4 11:52:59 PST 2019

Hi All,

Yes, the final ABAWD waiver rule has come out and DSHS is on top of it!  It is a 122 page document and DSHS HQ is digesting it and working with stakeholders to formulate a response for how the rule will work for WA.  Please do not make your own inferences, as soon as we have any more information about a decision from DSHS and others I will pass that along.  This is good news, and because we have been working on this program for six months that preparedness will serve us well as we move forward.

In the meantime, below is a small list of activities (not comprehensive) that you as Navigators can/could  be doing while we wait for the information from DSHS.

Ideas of Activities for Navigators while waiting for Referrals

  *   Work with College Food Pantry to help students apply for SNAP benefits.
  *   Seek opportunities to talk to Faculty and Staff about your role on campus.
  *   Get trained on possible BFET case management.
  *   If College has orientations, ask to be on Agenda to talk to new students.
  *   If College has an Intro to College class make arrangements to come to a class to discuss role.
  *   Spend a day or two at the WorkSource and observe what is happening.
  *   Attend WorkSource orientation to see what is available for referrals.
  *   Continue to meet with resources in community to make sure you understand their offerings etc.
  *   Get trained on WA Connection to be able to help people when applying for SNAP.
  *   Get together with other Navigators in your area to share ideas and vet each other's processes looking for best practices and share resources.
  *   Determine what your availability for orientations will be and set a tentative calendar so if and when we get access to a scheduling software you will be able to immediately enter your availability for DSHS to schedule orientation meetings with ABAWDS.
  *   Make sure IEP decision about creating your own or using BFET one is made
  *   Create your Referral Form.

Enjoy this time to get ready, get to know your campus and stakeholders, and be ready when the final information from DSHS arrives.  We are almost there.

Kathi

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Kathi Medcalf, M.S.Ed
Program Administrator: ABAWD, Workforce Education
1300 Quince Street SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504-2495
P: (360) 704-1838     E: kmedcalf at sbctc.edu<mailto:kmedcalf at sbctc.edu>
                      Pronouns: She/Her/Hers