[Wsssc] WSSSC Legislative Update: Prefilled Bills (1/5/2024)

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Sun Jan 7 15:02:21 PST 2024

Hello WSSSC,

I hope you each enjoyed a relaxing winter break and are in the midst of welcoming students back for winter term.

While the 2024 session officially begins Monday, January 8,  last week, SBCTC activated to address many pre-filled bills. While we are already watching more than a dozen, I write to keep you informed to the most significant WSSSC related updates and learnings from this past week that we believe are essential for membership to be aware thus far.

  *   Opioid and Fentanyl Crisis in Washington:

     *   The opioid crisis in Washington has seen a fourfold increase in the last two years. The epidemic's effects in Washington are reviewed here<https://adai.washington.edu/wadata/deaths.htm>. Of note to our colleges, opioid overdose death rates in King and Pierce Counties more than quadrupled between 2002-2004 and then again in 2020-2022. Snohomish County's rate more than tripled and Spokane County's rate doubled. Some of the highest death rates and largest increases are seen in rural counties, such as Okanogan, Yakima, Clallam, Grays Harbor, and Mason.
     *   While the prevalence may not be directly present on our campuses, it's crucial to anticipate that as community partners, we will likely be called upon by the legislature to play a significant role in combating the escalating deaths in our communities. Thank you to VPSS Rob Cox and Claire Peinado for their consultation on this work thus far.

  *   Sexual Violence

     *   Title IX, sexual violence, and campus's role in facilitating physical and mental health supports continues in significant discussion. Thank you to VPSS Michele Waltz for her consultation on this prefilled bill. Due in large part to Michelle consultation, the bill has become less prescriptive, and more outcome focused and manageable for varying campus types.
     *   WSU Rape Case Discussions: Another significant topic that has been under discussion is the ruling on WSU rape case. A summary from communications Director Laura McDowell includes:" On Thursday, Washington's highest court ruled in favor of the university. The 5-4 opinion held that the university had no obligation to prevent the crime or protect its students because the incident occurred at his off-campus apartment. The ruling, one of the first of its kind in the nation, could have significant ramifications for student sexual assault survivors at Washington universities, limiting off-campus protections and in turn the opportunity to seek damages for harm. The protections offered in Washington state against college sexual assault are now weaker than federal law. The ruling, one of the first of its kind in the nation, could have significant ramifications for student sexual assault survivors at Washington universities, limiting off-campus protections and in turn the opportunity to seek damages for harm. The protections offered in Washington state against college sexual assault are now weaker than federal law."

  *   Student Athlete Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL)

     *   A bill relating to communication and public resources between employees of state institutions of higher education and student athletes regarding name, image, and likeness use. For colleges with athletic programs, it implies that colleges may need/want to allocate resources for the implementation of advising and education initiatives specific to student athletes. While this may not have an immediate impact on our colleges, it's essential to note that there could be a ripple effect, especially considering the growing proportions of related issues at universities. Thank you to NWAC Director Marco Azurdia and Rob Cox for their consultation on this bill.

We observed several other pre-filled bills last week (e.g. financial aid, veterans, guaranteed admissions programs, dual credit) that have been assigned and will be analyzed and monitored. We will continue to delve deeper into these topics during the upcoming weeks and keep you informed as bills drop and evolve. WSSSC's ongoing involvement is critical and providing a significant impact to bill analysis and influence to the legislature. We sincerely thank Claire, Rob, Michele, and Marco, want to thank those who help in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise on behalf of the broader community.

I look forward to seeing many of you on Thursday as we resume Hot Topics.

Warm Regards,

Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D

lhibbs at sbctc.edu*<mailto:lhibbs at sbctc.edu*> o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."