[Wsssc] Financial Aid RFP Update

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Thu Dec 14 07:01:59 PST 2023

Good morning, WSSSC,

At the October WACTC meeting, SBCTC was asked to move forward with one of two qualified vendors for the Financial Aid RFP, specifically, to look at configuration in ctcLink in the Financial Aid module. Considering the current focus on configuration changes with the financial aid community on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), Mass Packaging, and the upcoming FAFSA Simplification changes, it would not be prudent to start this work now. Financial aid staff at the colleges are already overburdened with the tasks at hand. Nevertheless, SBCTC has choose College Aid Services (vendor) to start discussions on this upcoming activity and put together a statement of work to move forward with. It will be important to note that the work with the vendor needs to be around business process review and coming to common business solutions, where possible. That work will then drive the needs of any configuration changes in ctcLink. Below includes on overview of need and prioritization.

Current ctcLink Attention and Needs

  *   Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and Mass Packaging.
  *   FAFSA simplification - and needed business process adjustments at the colleges.
  *   Oracle is delivering the upcoming changes to SBCTC in mid-December, of which the ctcLink Support Team will need to configure, test, and deploy to the colleges. There are several items, which are not system related, that colleges should be doing, as advised by NASFAA and the Feds to prepare for the upcoming FAFSA Simplification changes. Outline and checklist provided by NASFAA attached here.

Our council liaisons, WSSSC Karl Smith and SBCTC Yokiko Hayashi-Saguil, and I are working closely with our ctcLink colleagues to continuous evaluate, adjust, respond, and communicate next steps. As WSSSC moves forward with the commission workplan with increased focus on Financial Aid priorities (identified by FAC and listed below), we hope to increase levels of communication and coordination for system improvement.

2023-24 FAC recommended priorities.

  *   Dedicated and protected time aka support planned Office Closures
     *   Policy and procedures update
     *   Training of staff
     *   Anticipated increase in processing time associated with federal and state policy changes

  *   Professional Development
     *   Support FAFSA simplification related training opportunities
     *   Support onboarding and training of new staff

  *   Advocating for CTClink system updates:
     *   The SBCTC are proactively updating the system. However, it is unknown if other updates will be required.

  *   Financial Aid staff compensation: T
     *   This continues to be an area they want us to address.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu*<mailto:lhibbs at sbctc.edu*> o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."