[Wsssc] Area of Expertise & Classroom Management Rubric

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Thu Dec 7 09:48:05 PST 2023

Good morning,

As a follow-up to our WSSSC Hot Topic conversation today, below includes a Lake Washington Rubric to support faculty conversations on classroom management strategies prior to conduct referrals. Another resource provided from Dean Kelly for conduct/training includes: https://www.theasca.org/

Also attached includes WSSSC Area of Expertise for you to consult with colleagues on specific areas within your portfolio.

And finally, we have some December birthdays to celebrate - Happy Birthday to Rob C., Michele C, and Jamilyn P.! We celebrate you!

Classroom Management Rubic - Lake Washington
This is a chart we use with faculty related to conduct and them some general notes a dean added after coaching several faculty through it. I think it needs some revising (some of the language is white coded language) and it is still a good place to start:

Level

Description

Examples

Suggested interventions/reporting tools

1-Distractive Behavior

  *   Minor
  *   One-time or intermittent

  *   Excessive talking
  *   Late
  *   Noisy
  *   Cellphone use

  *   Clear syllabus policies
  *   Direct discussion with student
  *   Comments in Canvas

2-Disruptive Behavior

  *   Significant or recurring

minor behavior

  *   Previously addressed
  *   Non-emergency

  *   Continued interruptions
  *   Non-sexual harassment
  *   Pattern of being unprepared
  *   Inappropriate language or outbursts
  *   Shows disrespect

  *   Legend
  *   Email student conduct officer (presently Sheila Walton)
  *   Needs immediate intervention
  *   May require possible classroom removal of student

3-Disorderly or Threatening Behavior

  *   Major outbursts
  *   Loss of emotional control
  *   Property damage
  *   Physical threats

  *   Cursing
  *   Throwing furniture
  *   Theft
  *   Alcohol or drug use
  *   Sexual harassment

  *   Call Security (425-739-8224) or Kirkland Police (911)
  *   Report to Care Team (See Something Say Something online form)
  *   Email student conduct officer

Takeaways from our Classroom Management Series

*         Memorize the levels sheet and apply the categories to develop your responses.

*         Avoidance is a strategy, but not a good one.

*         Except for academic dishonesty, keep grading and disruptive behavior separate.  (In other words, bad behavior is an issue for student conduct, not grading.)

*         Build in some sensible flexibility, and be sure your syllabus states you have the authority to make changes in how the course will proceed.

*         Make it clear not everything is transactional.  Quality of work matters.  The requirements of your field matter.  Students need to demonstrate mastery of your key course outcomes, and you shouldn't negotiate away that requirement.

*         No matter what, you have to respond as an adult and professional.  If you yell insults back at a student who is yelling insults, you're both great candidates for disciplinary action.

*         Keep me in the loop in every case about which you have concerns because the college rarely informs me about disciplinary actions

*         If your gut tells you that you and your students are in a threatening situation, act as though that's the case.  Never just ignore this feeling.

Ruby.

Ruby Hayden, Ph.D.
Vice President of Student Services
My pronouns: she/her

Lake Washington Institute of Technology
Student Services
West 213C
11605 - 132nd Avenue NE  |  Kirkland, WA 98034
T: (425) 739-8208  |  ruby.hayden at lwtech.edu<mailto:ruby.hayden at lwtech.edu>
www.LWTech.edu<http://www.lwtech.edu/>  |  facebook.com/theLWTech  |  twitter.com/TheLWTech