[Wsssc] Update: Joint SBCTC/COP Letter to OSPI

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Tue Aug 22 17:03:25 PDT 2023

Dear WSSSC & IC Members,

As you know a letter (see attached) was sent to OSPI on August 8, regarding SBCTC's concern over OSPI's proposal to rescind guidance regarding the 1.4 FTE for Running Start students. SBCTC and COP recently received official word that OSPI will not be rescinding current guidance around the 1.4 FTE. This means that colleges do not need to revise any newly adopted business practices surrounding HB 1316<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/1316-S2.SL.pdf?q=20230804121642>  or reach out to students and families to readjust schedules or educational plans. Colleges can continue to claim more than a 1.00 monthly FTE and students can enroll in up to 21 credits (with advisor approval) each quarter or use the remaining FTE for summer. It is important to note that OSPI has not addressed the monthly count date discrepancy for the summer quarter. However, SBCTC will be working towards a solution this fall and winter. Thank you all for your strong support and advocacy. OSPI should be sending out official communication soon. All official OSPI correspondence will be sent out to WACTC, IC, and WSSSC and the RS listservs as soon as it is available.

What we need your help with
Due to sharing the Running Start Listserv with K12 and OSPI please forward this message to all staff and faculty that work closely with RS students and ensure them to continue to do "business as usual" as nothing will be changing for the 2023-2024 academic year

To avoid more confusion and frustration please encourage any questions or concerns related to this email or HB 1316 to go straight to me jtraugott at sbctc.edu<mailto:jtraugott at sbctc.edu> and NOT the RS Listserv at this time.

Thank you all!!