[Wsssc] Next Steps on Title IX Rules Implementation

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Jun 4 10:19:06 PDT 2020

WSSSC: as promised on today's call, here is a summary of next steps on Title IX rule implementation. As discussed, please share this with your Title IX Coordinators. Human Resources Commission (HRCM) will be doing likewise on the employee side. Thanks and stay tuned. Joe

Embargoed information for now: our AG is joining a multi-state lawsuit against the US Education Department, led by Pennsylvania, requesting an injunction against the new rules. Should be announced shortly.

AG Office wants to coordinate the guidance across HR, Student Services, and Title IX with two events, one providing an overview and the second one a deeper dive. Two dates/times to hold for now: Wednesday, June 17, 10 AM - Noon; and Wednesday, June 24, 1-3 PM. These will be Zoom meetings, set up by Christina Nelson (HRMC Chair).

By the end of June, AG Office should have revised model grievance/student conduct processes for promulgation throughout the system. Colleges will need to use emergency rule-making, with AG Office assistance.

A list of questions or concerns from each group (HRMC, WSSSC, Title IX Coordinators) is requested, in advance of the June 17th meeting. Other groups to include in communication are CDEOs and Campus Safety Officers (SSEM).

Known issues to resolve are training of individuals for investigative/coordinating/decision-making/appeal roles under new rules, and assigning advisors to complainants and respondents. Some training resources available are ATIXA and Everfi. AAG Bruce Marvin cautions that these organizations typically are not knowledgeable about Washington law, particularly the APA.

                             [Joe]

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."