[wactclc-alma] Patron expiration dates

Sarah Gray sarah.gray at edmonds.edu
Wed Dec 6 12:09:37 PST 2023

Our student expiry date is currently set to the day after the quarter ends.
I'm curious, though-- is there a compelling reason not to set student
expiry dates to the first day (or last day of the first week) of the next
quarter?

We can't prevent students with overdue/lost items from registering and
can't withhold transcripts, so I'm wondering if there is any real benefit
to expiring patrons the day after the quarter ends. Changing the expiration
date to the first day of the next quarter would allow students to use items
until the very end of the quarter without worrying about having to rush
them back within 24 hours. It would also allow students to borrow/renew
items over the between-quarter breaks, without requiring any manual
intervention from us.

I'm interested to hear if anyone is already doing this, and what the
potential drawbacks of this approach might be.

Thanks,
Sarah

--
Sarah Gray (she/her)