[Wactclc-alma] ctcLink and hosted EZproxy

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Jan 26 12:21:21 PST 2022

We've been on hosted EZProxy since 2017 and had it in place when we migrated to ctcLink in Feb 2021.

Before ctcLink we were using flat-file authentication where our IT staff set up an automated daily job that uploaded files of student and employee ID numbers to an SFTP server.

We did this because one of the colleges has a self-paced instruction program where students can take multiple terms to complete a course but they're only officially "registered" during the term when they start the course.  Theoretically, we should have been able to maintain a list of those students and add their ID numbers to a special file on the EZProxy server.  That never worked the way we expected. Luckily, that instruction program now requires students to complete their self-paced coursework within 9 months. I understand that ctcLink also now has the ability to distinguish between "active" students--who may not be currently taking classes-- and "registered" students.

With the switch to ctcLink, we switched to SAML authentication for EZProxy.

If you're a single institution, this is pretty straightforward and can be handled with a single meeting between your IT staff and OCLC EZProxy support.  In a nutshell, if your institution already provides SAML/LDAP authentication, then OCLC just needs to know the Active Directory Groups that are valid for authentication (IIRC).

FWIW, our IT department keeps network accounts active for a set period of time. This way the institution can communicate with students even when they're not currently registered.

As far as EZProxy authentication goes, we simply decided that if the network account is active, then the individual is eligible to authenticate via EZProxy.  If we tried to tie authentication to enrollment or registration status, it would be way too complicated to manage with the available personnel.

Hope this helps.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager