[Wactclc-alma] Acquisitions questions for Thursday zoom call

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Mar 3 17:27:08 PST 2021

Good questions, CB. We can talk about them tomorrow, and I'm sure get some thoughts on list as well.

Here are some initial thoughts...

As far as when to set OCLC holdings flag, my thought would be to do it whenever you pull the title record from WorldCat, since it's convenient to set the flag at the time you download the record.

You could also use the Connexion / Batch menu to set holdings in batch at the end of each month, from OCLC numbers pulled from Alma analytics.

Re: packaging... auto-packaging will package nightly based on common vendor and order type (ie, single vs continuous). Depending on your order flow, that might a convenient way to do it. Or, if your flow involves, say, ordering a bunch of stuff from Amazon over the course of a couple of days, and you want everything on a single PO / invoice, manual packaging would be better. You can also 'order now' to package a POL immediately, if you want the POL on its own PO / Invoice.

Re: receiving... I would think of receiving and cataloging as two separate workflows. The catalog record should already exist at the time of receiving, even if only in brief form. Any overlaying or catalog updating I wouldn't think of as being associated with receiving, necessarily.

If you mean cataloging items, the holdings / items will get created with the POL (where templates might help?). You can also edit the items during receiving. Also during receiving, you can 'keep in dept', so that the item doesn't go immediately to available, and you can do some processing (labels, for example).

The SUNY Libraries Consortium page on receiving is good synopsis of a basic one time order receiving process: https://slcny.libguides.com/training-acquisitions/receiving and https://slcny.libguides.com/training-acquisitions/receiving-onetime . Also, slides 10 and 11 in this deck are also good:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EHmwwru7ZU7VEIN6TlYB3kN0PnqH02dQ

One streamlining tip might be to start with invoicing. Once the items arrive at the library, first do their invoices. From invoice creation, you can go straight to receiving, by selecting 'handle receiving as part of invoicing' during invoice creation. That's a good workflow if the same person is doing both invoicing and receiving

http://www.wactclc.org<http://www.wactclc.org/>

Schedule a meeting with me<https://calendly.com/wactclcalmaprimo/>
My Zoom Instant Meeting Link<https://bigbend.zoom.us/j/8763410457>