[Wactclc-alma] Acquisitions questions for Thursday zoom call

Cara Beth Stevenson cara.stevenson at ghc.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:32:55 PST 2021

I'm going through different sets of notes, and my questions are in random order.

At what point in the acquisitions/cataloging process do you tag a title in OCLC for your library holdings?

There was some discussion about keeping or deleting FAST subject headings. Do you routinely delete uncontrolled subject headings or foreign language headings? What about fields not listed in the Alma profile, such as 019, 029,  or 938?

Paula said last week that she leaves unchecked the "assign inventory" box on the PO Line Order page. What is the implication of assigning inventory, or not? (I probably have this somewhere in my jumbled notes ...)

Do you always package manually, or are there times to choose other packaging options? (Something else for which I may find answers in my notes ...)

The process Paula demonstrated was for physical one-time orders. What are the differences for electronic orders?

Right now I am struggling with the receiving workflow, which seems really cumbersome. Is there a way to  streamline the process?    ** I have an order from Amazon that I am in the process of receiving, and I'm also cataloging each book as I go. Grays Harbor is a Dewey library, and I have to edit the call number and assign a cutter term on the holdings record for each title. AAAHHHHH!

   **  Then I still need to set the books for post-receiving processing for spine labels.

Enough from me -- I don't want to take up the whole hour.

Cara Beth Stevenson

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Library Paraprofessional

John Spellman Library