[Wactclc-alma] Patron Records Question

Martin, Melinda Melinda.Martin at scc.spokane.edu
Tue Jun 15 10:15:44 PDT 2021

Thank you so much, Kirsti!

From: Wactclc-alma <wactclc-alma-bounces at lists.ctc.edu> On Behalf Of Thomas, Kirsti
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 3:56 PM
To: WACTCLC Alma Discussion <wactclc-alma at lists.ctc.edu>
Subject: Re: [Wactclc-alma] Patron Records Question

Melinda,

We’ve run into several situations over the past few years where HR and Student Services accidentally created duplicate employee and student records. This especially happens because we have a separate student records system/module for each college and people forget to check the other college’s records first. Even though they eventually catch their mistakes and clean up the ID numbers in the campus systems, we end up with multiple user records with different ID numbers for the same individual in Alma.

In both PPMS/SMS and ctcLink, if HR or Student Services updates an ID number in the campus system, then Alma will create a new user record instead of updating the existing user record because it’s looking at the ID number to match against.

This causes problems when patrons borrow things under both their old ID number and their new ID number. We’ve also had a few cases where this caused problems with adjunct library faculty who worked at different colleges and needed to have User Roles assigned to them.

Because of those experiences, I’ve decided to start purging patron records for both students and staff every quarter.

I’m hoping this means we’ll be less likely to end up with multiple user records for the same individual.  I’m also hoping that the statewide single EMPLID will cut down on this too.

I don’t think the other libraries have the same issue with duplicate records in their campus systems, but you folks are special snowflakes like we are. 😊

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges