[Wactclc-alma] Overlaying records in Alma with records from WorldCat, from within MD Editor

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Tue Oct 6 17:11:06 PDT 2020

A follow-up to this morning's call...

I did refresh my knowledge of searching for WorldCat records from within MD Editor, and loading them into Alma, either as new records, or to overlay existing records.

This might be a good workflow for various use-cases where you want to refresh one or two records in Alma, or where you want to overlay a brief record (perhaps initiated from a purchase request or a POL) with a more complete record, without having to go through an import profile.

I'll bring this scenario to the Thursday morning call, for those interested, as a dry run. Then I can bring it up again in a Tuesday call.

Bringing in WorldCat records directly from within MD Editor is something that we configured and trained on initially during implementation, but I'm not sure how much that workflow caught on at that time, as that wasn't a workflow with any connection to how cataloging was done in Voyager or other ILSes.

http://www.wactclc.org