[Wactclc-alma] Holdings not updating properly

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Nov 4 07:53:07 PST 2020

Colleen,

The answer lies in the call number mapping table<https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/040Resource_Management/080Configuring_Resource_Management/195Mapping_Call_Numbers_to_Holdings>.

The call number mapping table controls which subfields get mapped from the call number field in the bib record (like 092) to the call number field in the holding record (the 852).

Your call number mapping table entry for the 092 did not include mapping of subfield c, so I went ahead and added that mapping, and mapped it to the dewey suffix subfield m in the 852.

So you should get the results you want now when you copy the call number field from the bib record to the holdings record in MD Editor.

Note that the 852 field applies to the holding record, rather than the bib record. And that the holdings record is a separate entity.

So, it goes something like:

Bib record (contains the 092, along with fields for other call number schemes)

Holdings record (contains the 852 field, representing the call number associated with any attached items

Item record(s) (the records for individual physical items)

Below is a screenshot of your call number mapping table, with the entry I added highlighted.

This table is processed from top to bottom, so Alma uses the first active entry in the table that is relevant to the record you are acting upon.

So, if the bib record has an 092 value, that highlighted row is used to do the call number mapping work.

[cid:image001.png at 01D6B27F.76EC59C0]

Wade Guidry
WACTCLC
http://www.wactclc.org<http://www.wactclc.org/>