[Wactclc-alma] CDI and Ebsco databases

Hannah Micona HMicona at greenriver.edu
Thu Jul 16 07:46:27 PDT 2020

If you have a collection activated/available in Alma (that is, the little blue people are blue and not gray), it is automatically searching all of the CDI for matching citations; essentially EVERYTHING is already automatically alternative coverage.

If you enabled something as alternative coverage in the PCI, but don't actually subscribe to it, that will appear in Alma as Full Text: Not Available with the little people gray and say 'Active for Search in CDI: Yes,' which will make those citations show up in the expanded search. You can also make other collections Active for Search in CDI without activating them in Alma if you want the citations to show up in the expanded search; or, if they are open access, then they'll show up as full text in your regular (full text) search.

'Active for Search in CDI' for collections that you DO subscribe to is only relevant for those titles in SELECTIVE packages that you do NOT subscribe to (in those collections where you have selected "We subscribe to only some titles in this collection"); it makes citations for those nonsubscribed titles show up in the expanded search, just like the entire collections you don't subscribe to that are Active for Search in CDI. For aggregate collections you subscribe to, or selective collections where you subscribe to everything, it's an entirely irrelevant designation, because they're active for search due to being active in Alma. (If you don't want them active for search in the CDI but active in Alma, you have to go in and select "Do not show as Full Text available in CDI even if active in Alma.") 'Active for Search in CDI' is ONLY about the expanded search options for things you do NOT subscribe to. They really should have only put the label on those collections it's relevant for, but they put it on everything. It doesn't matter if it's Yes or No for things you subscribe to in their entirety. You could make them all yes for consistency and clarity, but you don't have to.

Basically, everything that is available in Alma is visible in the regular search and the expanded search, regardless of 'Active for Search in CDI' status, unless you tell it "Do not show as Full Text." Everything that is not available in Alma but is Active for Search in CDI is also visible in the expanded search (open access collections will also show up in the regular search).

Currently, the one big exception is DATABASE collections; if you have a database active in Alma, that is NOT flagged as 'Active for full text in CDI only,' that has the bib record for the database suppressed, it WILL NOT search the CDI for them, you MUST unsuppress the database bib record to get article records for databases. (If it does have 'Active for full text in CDI only' then it will work even with the bib record suppressed.) But they're going to fix this in the August release "by adding an option to activate the full text for CDI separately from the option to suppress the bib record. This will enable you to choose whether you want to suppress or un-suppress the bib record independently from the full text activation for CDI."

Hannah Micona

Cataloger, Holman Library

Green River College

(253) 833-9111 ex. 2098