[Wactclc-alma] creating POLs in bulk for eBook portfolios

Heather Jean Uhl huhl at everettcc.edu
Wed Apr 22 12:56:36 PDT 2020

Hi, Amy.

Thanks for reaching out with this great question.  I'm working on a similar
experimental process right now too.  Full disclaimer, this is a brave new
world for me, but I'm excited to learn, as I've had a lot of success
creating import profiles to bring in huge batches of inventory for
netbooks.  I'm grateful to work together with everyone for their ideas,
suggestions, and past experience.

I'm looking at trying to do this in two stages:

   1. Bring in a batch of eBook bibs (coordinated with our EBSCO rep to
   include linking fields / public notes in specific preconfigured MARC
   fields) using an import profile that will auto-create the portfolios based
   on those fields.  See the Alma Knowledge Center article Managing Import
   Profiles
   <https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/040Resource_Management/060Record_Import/020Managing_Import_Profiles#Creating_an_Import_Profile:_Profile_Type>,
   and the sections below.
      - Creating/Editing an Import Profile / Type: Repository - Create
      - Creating/Editing an Import Profile: Inventory Information /
      Electronic
   2. Next, once I have the bibs imported and the portfolios created, I
   plan to use the Import / Physical Inventory - Update feature to create POLs
   for each of the bibs matching on MMS ID.  See the Creating/Editing an
   Import Profile: PO Line Information
   <https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/040Resource_Management/060Record_Import/020Managing_Import_Profiles#Creating.2FEditing_an_Import_Profile:_PO_Line_Information>
   Alma knowledge center article.

At least this is the plan....  ^_^*

I have a meeting with Marianne Le, our collection development librarian who
is our EBSCO rep, tomorrow as a first step to figuring out this workflow.
Next, I'm going to reach out to the vendor to pitch the process and work
with their team to tinker with the records for import.  Once I get a test
record, I'm going to pilot the process.  I'll share the results if you like?

Take care everyone.  Best wishes for all your endeavours.

Heather Jean Uhl, Faculty Librarian (pronouns: she / her)
Acquisitions & Cataloging Department Supervisor
Everett Community College - Library Media Center
huhl at everettcc.edu | (425)388-9139

Library Liaison for English, Journalism, Communications, Theater
Japanese Culture Club Adviser
Instructor ART228D The World of Anime & Manga