[Wactclc-alma] Vendor Interfaces and Primo links

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Nov 5 13:24:52 PST 2019

When Primo displays an electronic title in the Full Record View, it follows some rules about what to display as the text for the URL link:

  1.  If the title is part of an electronic collection, Primo displays the public name of the electronic collection
  2.  If the title is not part of an electronic collection, Primo displays the name of whatever Vendor Interface is associated with the portfolio record
  3.  If the title is not part of an electronic collection *and* there's no Vendor Interface associated with the portfolio record, Primo displays the phrase: view full text

Here's an example of Situation (3):

We have a bib record for a streaming video in Alma.  For whatever reason, one of the two existing portfolio records isn't associated with any electronic collection and doesn't have an Interface Name associated with it either.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the portfolios in the Title Display screen and the Portfolio List screen:
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]
The portfolio record that's *not* associated with an electronic collection is a Kanopy video that belongs to South Seattle.  If you look for this streaming video in South Seattle's Primo, you get a hypertext link that says view full text. That's the default phrase that appears when there's no electronic collection and no Interface Name associated with the portfolio record.

Here's how that looks in Primo:
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

This default phrase isn't very helpful, especially if you've got a lot of portfolio records that were created from 856 fields in your bib records as part of the P2E process during migration.  Like this:

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

It goes on like that for another 59 lines!

You can manually create an Interface Name to show up as the hypertext link for your standalone e-titles.

For example, we have a standalone subscription to Puget Sound Business Journal online that we buy directly from Puget Sound Business Journal.  In our Alma vendor record, I created a very simple Interface record.  All it has is an Interface Name, a Description, and a Note:

Interface Name: Puget Sound Business Journal Portal
Interface Description: Customized portal created by Bizjournals.com to allow remote access for end users
Note: Customized portal for Seattle Colleges (50 concurrent users)

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

Then, in the portfolio record for Puget Sound Business Journal, under the General tab, I selected Puget Sound Business Journal Portal as the Interface Name.

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

Here's how this looks in Primo:

[cid:image008.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

The Available from... statement comes from the Coverage tab of the portfolio record. I manually entered the coverage information when I created the portfolio record in Alma.

[cid:image009.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

We've got a few OCLC bib records in our system that have links to public domain ebooks or Open Access e-journals.  Even though we don't buy these titles from anyone, I set up a special vendor record in Alma just so I could create Interface records so that something other than view full text would show up in Primo.

Here are a few screenshots of the Vendor Details:

[cid:image010.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

[cid:image011.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

Here's an example from Alma of a record that uses these interfaces:

[cid:image012.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

Here's the same record in Primo:

[cid:image013.jpg at 01D593D9.E8B06BC0]

I only worked this out last week, so we have a lot of standalone e-titles that still have to be cleaned up.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas

Library Technical Service Manager

Seattle Colleges