[Wactclc-alma] [External] RE: Kanopy and faculty/employee use

Daniel Moore daniel.moore at email.edcc.edu
Mon May 13 10:47:57 PDT 2019

Hey Lesley,

Regarding password resets, it looks like they've already released a
password reset system. I just did it on my account. About registering, we
sold it to our users as a way of managing playlists. We have users first
authenticate via Ezproxy and then they log into their Kanopy accounts.
We've also encouraged folks to use Google authentication. Lastly, the
account with Kanopy is good for their public library access as well, so if
a user has a Kanopy account through KCLS or Sno-Isle, after authenticating
in Ezproxy they can log into that account to have access to their saved
movies. Kanopy's data breach, while disheartening, was a good opportunity
for them to own up to the breach, which I feel they did. Within a few days
I think I received five emails about the extent of the breach and what
steps they're taking to avoid that in the future. As you put it, breaches
seem to be more and more frequent these days, so it's hard to put our trust
in yet another service and hope for the best. (I'm reminded of the cynical
meme of a sad faced cloud with the text, "The Cloud is just another
person's computer.") That said... when walking students through this, we
either encourage Google authentication OR we use it as an opportunity to
instruct of good password management.

We did our Building Community Day presentation on "What's new in the
library?" this past Friday and a demo of Kanopy was included. We're asking
faculty to explore this as a resource for students in their classes. We
even had one construction management teacher say that he found, while I was
talking, four movies he'll require for his classes.

-Dan

dan.moore at edcc.edu / daniel.moore at email.edcc.edu