[Wactclc-alma] Using MMS IDs to Find Dewey Decimals

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Jun 20 14:16:20 PDT 2019

The easiest thing to do is to use Alma Analytics instead of exporting from Alma.  You can even filter your Analytics report so that it only includes the MMSIDs from your initial export.

You'll want to create a new Analysis in Alma Analytics.  Use the Subject Area: Physical Items

>From the Bibliographic Details folder, select the MMSID field and add it to your report
>From the Holding Details folder, select the Permanent Call Number field and add it to your report (If you want to sort your report by call number, add the Normalized Call Number field too. Sort by the Normalized Call Number field, NOT the Permanent Call Number Field)
>From the Physical Item Details folder, select the Lifecycle field and add it to your report

Add any other fields you want to include.

The next step is to add filters to the Lifecycle field and the MMSID field. (If you don't know how to do this, watch the Analytics training videos<https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Training/Analytics> on the Ex Libris website)

Filter the Lifecycle field for Lifecycle = Active (If you don't filter for this, your report will include deleted items)

When you filter the MMSID field, don't put anything in the Value field. Instead, click the binoculars icon that shows up on the right side of the Value field.
You'll get a new pop-up window called "Select Values."  Look for the pencil icon on the upper right side of that window.  Click the pencil icon.
You'll get another pop-up window called "Edit." Paste all your MMSIDs into this window.  Each MMSID needs to be on a separate line.
Click OK on the pop-up windows until all of them are closed.

This filtering trick is also really helpful when you want to generate a list based on a bunch of barcodes.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges