[Wactclc-alma] Checking out items over break

Stephanie Levesen Stephanie.Levesen at skagit.edu
Thu Feb 21 11:15:47 PST 2019

HI Charly,

We allow students who are registered for the next quarter to check out over the break.  We usually start downloading the student patron load with the next quarter’s expiration date for students and updating the calendar dates for the next quarter around Finals week.  Then students who come in to renew/check out materials for the quarter break will get the due date that corresponds with the next open day after our closures.

If the due date doesn’t change or comes up not what we’re expecting, we’ll go in and look at the expiration date of the student.  If it still shows the current quarter’s expiration date (like for this quarter it’s 3/21/2019), we’ll ask them if they’re registered.  If they’ve just registered and the system hasn’t updated yet, if they have proof that they’ve registered – paper copy of the schedule or even a digital image from their phone – we’ll manually adjust the expiration date and extend the due date.

We really don’t have an issue with students checking out over break.  And by making sure to wait to adjust or download patrons until Finals week it prevents hang ups for the majority of the quarter.  The only issue we have with doing this is for the laptops that we check out for a week at a time.  If students are continuing to check them out for the limited time during finals week, we have to pay attention to the due dates of the laptops and manual adjust those, but by then most of the students are done and the laptops are getting returned.  We don’t allow those to go out over the break.

Hope this helps in your decision making process.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie Levesen
Periodicals/ILLs/Circulation