[Wactclc-alma] Textbook library workflow in Alma

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Aug 7 13:32:23 PDT 2019

Our libraries are also making a concerted effort to have copies of textbooks on reserve.   The turnaround time between purchasing and needing these materials available for student use is pretty short.  We don't have the cataloging staff necessary to accommodate full cataloging of these materials in the time frame required-- especially since many of our textbooks are unique instructor course packets that require original cataloging which can only be performed by an LAPP6 or Librarian (and at this institution, that means me and no one else, and I have a lot of other spinning plates that are more critical).

What we're doing is having circ/reserves staff create brief bib records.  Assuming the items survive the heavy use we expect them to receive on reserve, if we ever decide to move take them off reserve and move them to the permanent collection, we'll catalog them at that point.

Hope this helps,

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges