[Wactclc-alma] Question about periodicals holdings

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Apr 17 17:34:56 PDT 2019

Elena,

The current WorldCat record for The Advocate (#2256995) has a 777 field for Out:

777 1  ǂt Out (New York, N.Y.) ǂg Feb. 2010- ǂx 1062-7928 ǂw (DLC)   95657077 ǂw (OCoLC)25743067

Our local record for The Advocate has this 777 field.  Our local record for Out has a 777 field for The Advocate. When I search for The Advocate in our Alma instance, I also get the bib record for Out, and vice versa.

Overlay your local bib record for The Advocate with the current WorldCat record and see if that fixes the problem.

Interestingly, we’ve got 777 fields in both records that point to each other, but neither shows up as a Related Title in the Full Title Display in Primo.  Possibly we haven’t turned on the 777 field in our Primo displays?

Related holdings data shows up for both in Primo with a note that it’s a Related holding:

[cid:image003.png at 01D4F543.4A241680]

We ran into questions about these 2 titles before and I found this email in our OneNote notebook. I’m including it just in case it’s helpful for someone.

I think Casey got called away to the front desk at the point where we had finally figured out the weirdness with holdings records for The Advocate and Out showing up under both bib records.

In a nutshell, the way these two titles are connected—with a 777 (Issued With) field—means Alma will always show holdings records for both titles under both bibs. When you search for The Advocate, you’ll see holdings records for both The Advocate and Out.  When you search for Out, you’ll see holdings records for both Out and The Advocate.

When you check in issues, never use the holdings record with the green check mark that says Related.  The Related holdings record really belongs to the other related title.

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D4F543.DDEF04B0]

The 777 field seems to be used in cases where multiple periodicals have published issues jointly (e.g. You have 1 physical issue in your hands, but it’s v. 3, n. 2 of Title A *and* v. 45, n. 12 of Title B)

Even if we don’t have any of the jointly-published issues anymore, we still need to leave the 777 field in our bib records.

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu<mailto:kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu>