[Wactclc-alma] Has anyone used the Purdue Shelf Inventory API?

George Babcock george.babcock at email.edcc.edu
Mon May 21 17:34:40 PDT 2018

Hi all,

For inventory purposes, I think that the easiest way to find items out of
range and nonexisting barcodes is to use the Shelf Report function in Alma
(Resources>Manage Inventory>Shelf Report).  But this cannot find items
within the range that are badly misshelved.

With a lot of experimenting , the inventory that I did last year actually
worked to find:

1. missing items
2. items out of range
3. nonexisting barcodes
4. items in range that were badly mishelved.

First I scanned the barcodes of items on the shelf.  I also created an
analytics report that gave me a shelf list in call number order.  Then, I
used Excel's and its MATCH formula to find the first three bullet points.
Example: =MATCH(C2,$A$2:$A$1759,0) here Excel tries to match the barcode in
cell C2 in the list of all barcodes in cells A2 through A1759.  Then do a
reverse search:  =MATCH(A2,$C$2:$C$1759,0).  To find items that were badly
misshelved, I just compared the order of canned barcodes to the order of
shelf list barcodes.

I have attached one of my Excel spreadsheet from last years inventory and
can speak briefly about this tomorrow.

George

--
George Babcock