[Wactclc-alma] Lost items and fines

Elena Bianco Elena.Bianco at skagit.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:38:00 PST 2018

Continuation of the discussion about what happens when items are set to "lost." I happened across an article in the Knowledge base talking about setting the Lost Loan Profile<https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/030Fulfillment/080Configuring_Fulfillment/050Physical_Fulfillment?uxp=true#lost_loan_profile.edit_record>, and came across this:

"For an overdue notification on an item that is overdue and not returned, click Create Overdue Loan Fine to apply an overdue fine for the item when the job runs."

However, I couldn't see where that was in the form - is that the same as Create Overdue Notification Fee? To me, that sounds like it will add a fee simply for being notified of an overdue, which seems silly.  Or is the Create Overdue Loan Fine selection someplace else?

I looked at one of our Profiles for changing items to lost and noticed that this checkmark was not selected. I also noticed that in the drop down box for Loan Status, one of the options is Lost with Overdue Charge.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D3B077.D1D01C30]

So now I'm wondering if the combination of lengthening the number of days after which an item is set to Lost Status, and choosing Create Overdue Notification Fee and/or choosing Create Overdue Loan Fine (wherever that choice may be) , and then choosing a Loan Status of Lost with Overdue Charge might work to apply overdue fines to items set to lost.

Is that correct or am I (as usual) misunderstanding something here?

Thanks for any advice, all!

Elena

Elena Bianco, Systems & Technical Services Librarian
(360)416-7624