[Wactclc-alma] Interesting issue with "duplicate" method of serials check-in

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Mon Sep 25 12:57:30 PDT 2017

Dale and all,

Just an aside about ‘item policy’. It’s a field that is really intended for circulation purposes, rather than item description purposes. Which is probably why it’s not part of the ‘duplicate’ check-in process.

The ‘item policy’ is designed to be assigned to specific items, when those items can’t otherwise be circulated by standard item location + patron type rules. Because a given item is somehow an exception to the normal circulation rules.

For physically describing items, for analytics or other purposes, it’s best to use ‘material type’, in the item record (which I believe is copied with a ‘duplicate’ check-in).

There is also the ‘material type’ in ‘bibliographic details’, which relies on fixed fields in the bibliographic leader. So, if you use bibliographic material type, you have to rely somewhat on the accuracy of your bibliographic records.

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Big Bend Community College

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Big Bend Community College • 7662 Chanute Street NE • Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

WACTCLC Alma Instance: Alma NA02<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>
WACTCLC Primo Instance: Primo NA08<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>