[Wactclc-alma] Content Management and Alma

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Thu Jun 8 15:47:46 PDT 2017

Nicole,

Sounds like you're talking about an institutional repository? For storing a variety of institutional content, like faculty works, student works, special collections? Does that sound about right?

CONTENTdm is a decent platform, and can be cost effective if you self-host. (Having OCLC host CONTENTdm for you pretty much doubles the price). Lots of CONTENTdm being used in the NW. CONTENTdm is basically PHP running on top of IIS. So, depending on what languages and platforms your campus likes, it might be a good option.  Self-hosted, CONTENTdm is probably something like $5K / year for a Bellevue-sized institution.

DSpace is a widely used open source platform for institutional repositories. I think of it mostly as a store for original scholarly works. U of O has a very large IR, that I believe runs on DSpace, at least it did as of a few years ago: https://library.uoregon.edu/diglib/irg/SB_Role.html. I've had limited exposure to DSpace, but my impression is that it's pretty complex to run. We had it very briefly at Puget Sound.

Bepress Digital Commons is used by several of the smaller institutions in the Alliance, and we used it at Puget Sound (http://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/ ). It's a hosted platform for institutional repositories. Pretty easy to use and maintain. I would compare it to LibGuides in terms of level of technical effort required. It's in the $15K  / year range for a Bellevue-sized institution, based on my experience. It's thought of more as a store for text material, but it can also manage digital images and photos decently.

Archives Space (archivesspace.org) is platform that is being implemented at the Alliance (https://www.orbiscascade.org/archivesspace-implementation ) for archives work. It's for managing archives metadata, but not digital objects themselves. So, it's pretty specialized, and primarily for archives departments.

ARTStor Shared Shelf is somewhat similar to CONTENTdm in functionality, though I think it is usually more expensive that CONTENTdm self-hosted.

I've had at least brief exposure to all of the platforms above, and I feel like CONTENTdm (self-hosted) is the best, most flexible, system. Digital Commons is a close second, but it's kind of expensive relative to CONTENTdm.

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Big Bend Community College

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu>

Big Bend Community College * 7662 Chanute Street NE * Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299