[Wactclc-alma] Encoding Format

Lynn Robinson LRobinson at btc.edu
Thu Jul 13 09:44:29 PDT 2017

Hello All,

Before we migrated to Alma, we were using Voyager and I used the UTF-8 encoding format to import bib records. I set up my Alma import profile with UTF-8 but the symbols and accent marks in the bib records are replaced by white question marks inside black triangles. When I change my import profile to use ISO8859_1, all the diacritics show correctly. I retrieve my records from OCLC CatExpress via a browser and OCLC says that I cannot get the UTF-8 records to export correctly unless I use CatExpress via the client.

So, my understanding is that the UTF-8 is the newer standard which is capable of reading more characters and the ISO8859_1 is outdated and out of favor. I did not want to use CatExpress via the client unless I must. I'm not sure of the implications of using the old encoding format. Should I do whatever it takes to use UTF-8?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lynn

Lynn Robinson
Acquisitions & Cataloging | Library