[Wactclc-alma] Primo issue I am re-posting here

Dale Burke dburke at email.edcc.edu
Thu Feb 23 14:48:10 PST 2017

This is a Primo concern I have re-edited and have re-posted here because I
am surprised no one has commented about this on the Primo list.

I am disappointed by the apparent lack of reserve *searching* functionality
in the Cohort 2 catalogs that use the new Primo UI.

Cohort 1 worked very hard to get ExLibris to create search capabilities for
the various aspects of reserves (Course Name, Course ID, Course Instructor
 and Course Department).  Cohort 2 libraries only appear to have general
searching of reserves with the ability to sort the results (facet) by the
four categories.  I feel our librarians want the options that we currently
have in current version of Primo to *search for* rather than *sort*
reserves.

http://edmonds-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/
libweb/action/search.do;jsessionid=4D27D55ABEF1E720D67A243D0
661DBAA?mode=Basic&vid=EDMONDS&tab=reserves_tab&

I would suggest that people do various searches in your current UI and then
try similar searches in the new UI to see what results you get.  One
example that I will use is searching for the Reserve items coded to the
department of Sociology.  In my current UI if I search within Reserve for
"Course Department" I get 5 items that are coded to the Sociology
Department. In the new UI I get 27 items, including the 5 from the
Sociology Department.  This includes 22 items that are on reserve, but not
for the Sociology Department.  The only way I can see the 5 for the
Sociology Department is to sort my results by the facet for "Course
Department".  In addition, I have to expand the department list in order to
see the Sociology Department, meaning there are too many steps to getting
the results I want.

I am not sure that libraries in Cohort 2 even knew what level of reserve
searching was available to Cohort 1.

I am very interested in knowing how others feel about this issue?

Dale Burke
Technical Services Librarian

20000 68th Ave. W
Lynnwood, WA  98036