[Wactclc-alma] Damaged items which are returned

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Dec 14 10:28:50 PST 2017

This is genius and we're stealing this immediately. :)

Because we're a bit larger than the other libraries and have more moving people and parts, we're experimenting with the following statuses for the Damaged Work Order:

Name

Description

Damage bin

Put damaged items here after a decision has been made, in case patrons have questions after the fact

Repair

Decision has been made to repair item if possible

Replace

Decision has been made to replace

Review

Awaiting decision about what to do with damaged item

Withdraw

Decision has been made to withdraw damaged item without replacing

I also did some initial testing in the Sandbox. As far as I can tell, the Damaged Item Fine remains attached to the patron record even if the item is withdrawn in Alma.  The Damaged Item Fine will still list the title of the damaged item, even if all copies of the title are withdrawn and the bib record is deleted from Alma  (but I want to test this a few more times to make sure).  So even if the patron comes back several months after we've withdrawn the damaged item to ask why they can't register for classes, we'll have a record of the damaged item until the fine is either paid in full or waived.  (This may mean we end up not needing to use the Damage bin status after all.)

Here's an example of how the Damaged Item Fine looks after the bib and item records for the damaged item have been deleted:

[cid:image001.png at 01D374C5.DFB5F6A0]

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager