[OAAworkgroup] July OAA Workgroup Meeting Notes and Preparation for August 6 Work Session

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:50:37 PDT 2018

OAA Workgroup: here are notes from the July 23 meeting and some "to do's" for the August 6 work session.

Joe opened the meeting with a review of the June meeting. See June meeting notes sent via this listserv for a more complete review.

Ray reported on two legacy OAA items that are now completed, and asked for a Workgroup decision on two additional items. The completed items are changing the Gender heading to Sex, and changes regarding foster care in order to conform with a state mandate. The first decision item was about adding Other to Male and Female as Sex choices, and possibly a Decline to Answer. We decided to just add Other as a third choice. Applicants will still be able to leave the section "blank." There are existing protocols from a data and reporting standpoint to deal with missing data. The other decision point was about tribal affiliations, and whether to start with the list of 40+ tribal groups that are eligible for resident tuition or to expand to a full national list of 700+. We decided to start with the smaller list and task Ray with submitting a work estimate for designing a user interface that would allow students to choose from a larger list without having to scroll through 700+ choices.

Jill reported on the WSU PeopleSoft presentation that she attended. There were no take-aways relevant to our work.

Joe briefly mentioned some initial take-aways from the Listen and Learn audio recording that was made available to the Workgroup. Most Workgroup members had not listened to it. Joe asked all Workgroup members to do so, in preparation for the August 6 work session.

We discussed another proposal for the Citizenship section, this one drafted by Melanie, Chris, and Janet. Some concerns remain. Workgroup members were urged to suggest edits to the proposed wording in order to resolve concerns. We were reminded that Citizenship is a shared field with the HCM pillar, so changes in the OAA Citizenship category would need to be adopted in HCM as well.

Tara went through a slide deck to help us prepare for the August 6 work session. She went over general requirements areas and added some based on our discussion. Tara would like a smaller group, perhaps 5-6 people, to work on RFP requirements after the August 6 meeting. Joe recommended that each Student Services or other group represented on this Workgroup have one person on this smaller group, if possible.

Carmen asked for clarification on what areas of the OAA this group has been asked to focus on. Joe will re-share the list of recommendations to WACTC that were approved, along with a status update column.

Preparation for August 6 work session:

If you haven't already, respond to Nanette Angel (nangel at sbctc.edu<mailto:nangel at sbctc.edu>) with your availability and lunch preferences if attending in person. Nanette will be back in touch with participants with directions and parking information and WebEx information for remote participants, if she hasn't already.

Listen to the Listen and Learn audio recordings, the link was provided through this listserv.

Tara may have additional preparation materials or tasks to suggest in advance of the August 6 work session. If so, I will share them via this listserv.

                             [Joe]
[Compass]

Joe Holliday

Director, Student Services