[LIBRARYDIR] laptop lending

North, Sarah snorth at columbiabasin.edu
Thu Nov 30 15:29:05 PST 2023

I read this email to my Circ Manager and she asked if I had written two quarters ago. 😃 You’ve just described the exact situation we had found ourselves in last Spring.

We did make the decision to move to a first-come, first-served basis. We could no longer manage the burden of holds, communication, lapsed holds, waitlists, etc. (Our waitlist was topping 50 people at one point and settled into about 20 people or so last year.)

  *   We moved our laptops away from a quarter-long loan to a 1 month check-out, with a 1 week grace period for late fines and a built-in forgiveness for the first fine.
  *   We no longer maintain a waitlist or place laptops on hold. If we are out of month-long laptops, we have a handful of laptops on a 1 week loan. We loan those and encourage students to check back for month-long laptops and/or direct students to our computer lab.
  *   For the most part, this has proved successful for us this quarter!

The most important thing that makes this work for us is a deep understanding and training on the equity issues facing our students. Everyone on my team is encouraged to make exceptions, extend due dates, and waive fines as necessary if students express any difficulty adhering to the due date.

I really struggled with making this change since we do have students who live long distances from us, but ultimately since we’re not an established distance education school, we felt that dealing with those situations on a case-by-case basis was less of an administrative burden on us than what we were doing.

I hope this helps!

[Visit the CBC Website]<https://www.columbiabasin.edu/>

Sarah E. North, MLIS, Ed.S
Director for Library Services
Direct: 509.542.4894, x2294
Main: 509.542.4887, x2287
2600 N. 20th Ave. Pasco, WA 99301
Pronouns: she/her/ella
[Follow CBC on Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/columbiabasincollege> [Follow CBC on Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/cbcollege>  [Follow CBC on Twitter] <https://www.twitter.com/cbcollege>  [Follow CBC on YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/columbiabasincollege>  [Follow CBC on Snapchat] <https://www.snapchat.com/add/cbchawkssnaps>
[We All Soar Together]