[LIBRARYDIR] question about paying for databases

Claire Murata claire.murata at edmonds.edu
Wed May 24 17:32:31 PDT 2023

Hello wonderful colleagues!

Here's my question of the day:

In my college and the library, we are supposed to spend our budget in the
current fiscal year and if there's any left over, it returns to the general
college fund. But I realized that we paid for databases in this fiscal year
(FY23) but for terms of service that are (mostly) in FY24. Any monographs
we purchase have to be received in the current fiscal year or we have to
wait until July 1 and the money comes out of next year's budget.

Is there some law or WAC that makes this ok, or is that down to local
accounting practices? Thanks for considering! Claire

*Claire Murata, MLIS*
Associate Dean, Library and Learning Resources
20000 68th Ave. W., Lynnwood WA 98036 | edmonds.edu
claire.murata at edmonds.edu | (425) 640-1522

[image: college logo]