[LIBRARYDIR] FW: Running Start Textbook Programs

Christie Flynn CFlynn at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Apr 19 10:32:57 PDT 2023

Hi all,
Lori Broberg, one of my circ supervisors, supplied the answers below regarding Pierce College's Running Start Book Loan program.
Christie

  *   Is the book program facilitated as a circulating collection through the library?

Yes, our Running Start book program circulates through library with a loan period of one quarter. If all copies are checked out or the book is not in the collection the RS department will purchase the book through the bookstore and the student will pick up the book at the bookstore. The book will be returned to the library at the end of the quarter so that it can be added to the RS book collection. We don't circulate books that have access codes or if they are workbooks (considered a onetime use book). Those books are always purchased through the bookstore and not returned to the library.

     *   If so, what is your collection size?

The collection is approximately 1700 books that are located at both the Puyallup and Fort Steilacoom campuses.

     *   On average, how many students qualify and apply for the book program?

Qualification for the program is determined through the RS Department. The RS coordinator will send a list of students and the books they have requested to each campus. Spring quarter we have about 110 students that have checked out RS books from the library.

Beginning week 3 of each quarter the RS book collection may be borrowed by any student.

  *   If the book program is otherwise facilitated, what does that look like for your institution?
     *   For example, are students given vouchers to purchase their books (either directly from the Bookstore or elsewhere)?

Students apply through the RS department. Those that qualify are sent an email by the RS department that the book(s) are ready to pick up at the library or the bookstore.

Lori Broberg

Library Circulation Supervisor, Puyallup

Pierce College

p:

253-840-8308

a:

1601 39th Ave SE, Puyallup, WA 98374

w:

www.pierce.ctc.edu<http://www.pierce.ctc.edu> e: lbroberg at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:lbroberg at pierce.ctc.edu>

[pierce college logo]

[aspen prize for community college top 10 logo and achieving the dream leader college of distinction logo]

If you want to craft a response on our behalf, I will forward to the listserv.
Christie
(If you don't want to, no worries or expectations.)
CAUTION: This email originated from outside Pierce College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you have confirmed this is an authentic message from sender and know the content is safe. If you are unsure, contact the Help Desk at 253-964-6373 or email Helpdesk at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:Helpdesk at pierce.ctc.edu>
Hello all,

I was wondering-if your institution provides free textbooks to Running Start students, would you be able to help me by answering a few questions?

  *   Is the book program facilitated as a circulating collection through the library?

     *   If so, what is your collection size?
     *   On average, how many students qualify and apply for the book program?

  *   If the book program is otherwise facilitated, what does that look like for your institution?

     *   For example, are students given vouchers to purchase their books (either directly from the Bookstore or elsewhere)?

I inherited a book assistance program that is run as a circulating collection and we are reaching capacity for managing it, so I would be very grateful to hear about any alternative models across the state.

[Visit the CBC Website]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.columbiabasin.edu%2f&c=E,1,NfoXIuMI_21bU1Ylz3CEslo0o7mScXgHuXOTfxZ-Zi4wI6DKVQQV6EnHJCHJ_wvIIP2jBW5gIN5kgxWP48zokSRsbEXEm7n59s2l5dfB6txxnWwbSrMK2nf5SQ,,&typo=1>

Sarah E. North, MLIS, Ed.S
Director for Library Services
Direct: 509.542.4894, x2294
Main: 509.542.4887, x2287
2600 N. 20th Ave. Pasco, WA 99301
Pronouns: she/her

[Follow CBC on Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/columbiabasincollege> [Follow CBC on Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/cbcollege>  [Follow CBC on Twitter] <https://www.twitter.com/cbcollege>  [Follow CBC on YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/columbiabasincollege>  [Follow CBC on Snapchat] <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.snapchat.com%2fadd%2fcbchawkssnaps&c=E,1,uWM3Rwx7vrrZUMErq_z3kSa2Hzx4bAOhamIMwAzDr17BFMRsa9lCt_qYRkSnMsH2p9WLF3w_njOwWWdC-QeTECrKLEKsZCIIY_fzr8bbRXq35Q,,&typo=1>

[We All Soar Together]

[cid:image009.jpg at 01D70C38.BF4B1630]