[Factc] Leadership Can Be Learned ... but HOW?

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Feb 10 10:03:10 PST 2020

Hey, everyone!

I know from my own personal experience, and from speaking with many of you, that when it comes to the mysterious enigma that is "leadership," it can sometimes feel like some of us are destined to just muddle on ... while other people are just naturally proficient at leading others.

It can be tempting to say, "I'm not a leader"-- to believe that some of us are born with the metacognitive skills, concepts, and habits of mind necessary for leadership, and the rest of us are out of luck.

After 6 years or so in my current position, while I would not deem myself a poster child for a "good leader," I can say I have greatly improved.

Leadership can be learned, and I've learned a lot the hard way-- the "failing fast" and "learning from your mistakes" kind of way. With reflection, guidance, and mentoring, that kind of learning is effective ... and super painful. The cost-- to yourself and to others-- can be high.

Yet every once in a while, a training comes around that helps you, years later, say, "that was a turning point for me" ... you experience a major paradigm shift; you see things differently; you have new language to name your experience and new things (technical term) to try out on Monday. AND the learning is fun, energizing, and makes you hopeful for the future-- both your own and the people you serve.

For me, every training I've taken with Paul Horton of the Athena Group has been the latter kind of learning.

Paul and his colleagues are offering their Art of Participatory Leadership training March 3 to 5, 2020, and they have a few spots left open.

This year, they will be using the work the City of Olympia has done to apply the principles of participatory leadership to the creation of its Homelessness Response Plan as a sort of case study. Paul provided training and consulting support to key planning department staff, and in particular, Senior Planner Stacey Ray, through the process.

Here’s a 2-minute video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aiFzx9Jbk&feature=youtu.be> on the topic that Stacey and Paul recorded with the help of the Association of Washington Communities.

Questions? Please contact Paul Horton at paulh at athenaplace.com
His full contact information is below.

Paul Horton, Principal