[Factc] Is Meaningful Assessment Merely a Mythology?

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Wed Feb 13 10:03:16 PST 2019

Assessment Matters
Creating Assessment Processes that Satisfy Accreditors and Delight Faculty

Assessment, Teaching, and Learning Retreat
Winter 2019

March 7th and 8th, 2019
Rainbow Lodge, North Bend

Draft Agenda: http://bit.ly/2RIN01c
Registration Deadline: February 22, 2019

Thursday, March 7th, 2019

10:15 AM to 10: 45 AM           Check In
                              Sign In and pick up your badge and packet at the front desk. On the back of your badge will be your assigned room.

10:45 AM to 12:15 PM            Category Queens Take on Assessment
                              Learn about a groundbreaking discipline called "Category Design" as we collectively examine the purpose, tasks, and criteria of assessment through an entirely different lens from another sector.

1:15 PM to 3:00 PM              Making Outcomes Assessment Transparent
                                        Before the Session: Participants will prepare a 1 to 2 page description of your assessment process using the
                              transparent assignment template<http://bit.ly/2JHAaNH> (Purpose, Task, Criteria for Success). Session Objective: Participate in a facilitated design charette to give and receive meaningful feedback on your "TILT-ed" outcomes assessment process.

3:30 PM to 5:00 PM              But What do You WANT? Insider Information to Prepare for Your Accreditation Visit
                              "Insider" Analea Brauburger, ALO at Tacoma and Trained Accreditator for the NW Commission, will review the most recent assessment science and the most up-to-date information about the levels of student learning outcomes assessment as defined by the NW Commission, as well as outline a basic strategy to prepare and coach your visitors on your accreditation visit(s).

7:00 PM to 8:30PM                       Seminar Discussion
                              "Seasons of Academic Life: Honoring Our Collective Autobiography<http://bit.ly/2p2Jqm0>." This beautifully written piece by Lee Knefelkamp is old, but it is not dated. Bill Moore will facilitate a seminar discussion designed to support us collectively drawing out and discovering profound truths about the unfolding of faculty identity over a long career in ways that will inform both assessment of learning outcomes and professional development.

Friday, March 8th, 2019
8:30 AM to 10:15 AM             Reflect and Process Feedback from the Charette
                              Structured time and a process to share, reflect, and process the feedback from the charette with your campus team (professional development, assessment, IR, admin, etc.)

10:45 AM to 12:15 PM            Reconnecting to Mission and Vision
                              Jen and Bryce will share back a draft mission, vision,    values, objectives for this group based on feedback from Fall Retreat poster/sticker activity.